Thursday, June 11, 2009

Pulaski, VA Pop. 9,473ish

“Have you ever gone over to a friend’s house to eat, and the food just ain’t no good?” I ponder this quote not because I’ve never partaken of bad food at an acquaintance home but because of its urban draw and its pop culture esotericism. More rather, our experience in Pulaski was filled with hospitality not seen since the Pharaoh made Joseph second in command of the all of Egypt. “Not only can you stay here, you can make all the discussions. I’ll be in my room.”* But, just like LeVar Burton, you don’t have to take my word for it. (But unfortunately I don’t have books to illustrate my point, just these words. So take them.)

Hospitality Checklist

-pick us up in the ghetto at 10pm to drive us back two hours

-put us up for two nights

-feed us pretty much all our meals

-let us borrow the car for a whole day (gas money included)

-let us rip some music

-drove us two hours back to the train station at 3:30 in the morning

-laugh and have some good times

If you got 7 out of 7 you’re probably the Hellstroms (or Neptune the patron Saint of Horses and Horse racing). In addition to all the aforementioned, they are game people which is right up our alley (and yes that was a bowling pun).

Mindreader:

If you were Sister Hellstrom, describe your most disturbing image.

Clue:

A M____ eating B____.




From sitting on the porch watching lightning bugs to Hannah’s art show to the Pray Infirmary and the VW Bus lot, the sights of Pulaski reinvigorated our minds and reminded us what it’s like to dream again.





Now don’t tell me you’ve never heard of Pulaski Virginia, that metropolis that has been written of and spoken about for centuries. Well, we had the occasion to visit Pulaski’s immense downtown, a block of street which they call Main. There we saw many wondrous sights including boarded up and abandoned buildings, the Court House (with working Eternal Flame), and several war monuments.




We decided to take some photos on the tracks since Pulaski has such history with the rail industry (and because we were getting bored since we’d finished seeing everything else “downtown”). You can watch along with us at home. Like Aerosmith said, “Just Push Play.”

(Not their best album btw…sorry Steve)



*Citation needed

This Blog has been brought to you by the letters “M” and “B” and the number “7”.

“If I had a hammer, I’d hammer in the morning.
I’d hammer in the evening, all over this land.
I’d hammer out danger. I’d hammer out a warning.
I’d hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters all over this land.
Oh Ohh…”

1 comment: